Each year at each AGDQ
The chat will spew transphobic spew.
To censor the trolling
They became more controlling
And that’s when these hijinks ensue…
- why it’s easier to be mean when you’re virtual and anonymous
- taking a stand for politics vs. taking a stand for values
- how to create a community that’s both safe and fair?
- The greater internet fuckwad theory
- WCML 033: 6 Life Lessons From Summer Games Done Quick
We didn’t believe this a month ago. But now, thanks to Zoloft and Lexapro, we kinda do! And what’s worse, we’re not even bothered by this. Here’s what it’s been like.
I wager you might be surprised
To hear Pace and Kyeli advise
To give up intervening
‘Cause life has no meaning.
Thanks so much, SSRIs.
If it’s technically true but you’re trying
To mislead the questioner’s prying,
Then the words that you spew
Although technically true
Are morally equal to lying.
Let’s tackle a topic that’s tender:
What the heck even is gender?
What’s skin and what’s soul?
Can we fight it, or must we surrender?
- WCML 073: The future of gender
- WCML 083: The future of gender (part 2) with Ealasaid Haas
- WCML 093: Don’t “should” all over yourself: self-love and reducing negative self-talk
How to avoid “leading on” a friend? This is “No blood no trust” in the other direction.
If relationships do not exist,
Then how can I not become pissed
When my so-called friend
Was only pretend.
What was the clue that I missed?
- Pace Explains why relationships don’t exist
- No blood, no trust.
- Friendships as pets (cred to Glori B)
A recent and needed activity
Is pre-reading for sensitivity.
But where to assign
That very fine line
Between censorship and subjectivity?
Sensitivity readers are people who read manuscripts before they’re published to check for racist or otherwise offensive tropes so they can be rewritten before publishing.
- The article that spawned this conversation (h/t Kelly Kingman)
- Fact-checking vs. culture-checking
- The Baby-Sitters Club
- Movie ratings
- gatekeeping vs. censorship
- free speech, hate speech, and censorship
Pace and Kyeli each dodge a bullet of making a New Year’s resolution for a misguided reason. Hint: It has to do with being an Enneagram 3 and 4, respectively.
(We didn’t manage to record this episode before the new year, but it’s never too late to wholeheartedly abort if you’re doing something for the wrong reason.)
You’re fabulous at DDR.
You once were a bit of a star.
How much of this spin
Is about who you’ve been
And how much about who you are?
- Pace’s dumb reason
- Kyeli’s dumb reason
To understand cults and regimes
You must unstitch all of the seams.
What makes a belief
Last long or be brief?
Memetics: the study of memes.
- WCML 104: High-demand groups, part 1 of 2 (with Emma and Kelly) and WCML 105: High-demand groups, part 2 of 2 (with Emma and Kelly)
- What’s a meme, and what makes it spread?
- What’s a memeplex?
- carrot + stick + “this meme is the best meme”
- The Law of Attraction
- criminalizing marijuana
- oneness and love
- watch out for fear in your memeplexes!
2018 is nigh here;
Let’s focus on being right here.
We’ve always preferred
To choose just one word
To set our intent for the year.
- Pace’s previous words of the year: acceptance, annihilation, surrender, pantry, easy mode, warm bread with butter on it
- Kyeli’s previous words of the year: courageous, open, mermaid, epic, loud
- How “warm bread with butter on it” has shaped Pace’s 2017
- How “loud” has shaped Kyeli’s 2017
- Pace’s word of the year for 2018
- Kyeli’s word of the year for 2018
- Words of the year for 2017, 2016, 2015
- Soul Mantras by Liz Lamoreux
Say you turn down a high-paying job. Are you following your dream, or running away from your life? How can you tell the difference?
When you set out to follow your dream,
Your choices diverge from mainstream.
Are you finding your way,
Or running away?
Things might be more mixed than they seem.
- Why someone else might judge you for following your dream
- How to know the difference internally between following your dream and running away from your life
- How to tell if someone else is following their dream or running away from their life
- How to talk to someone you suspect may be running away from their life