Do you want to live a wholehearted, unconventional life?
The Dervish and the Mermaid is a podcast about pathfinding, the Enneagram, living wholeheartedly, feminism & activism for sensitive people, self-love & body love, and plenty more!
Pace (the Dervish) is a Sufi, a Pathfinding coach, a pansexual polyamorous transgender Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) player, and an Enneagram 3.
Kyeli (the Mermaid) is a wildhearted witch, a self-love advocate, disabled, adventurous, and an Enneagram self-pres 4.
Together, we fight crime! …as well as curiously explore how the world works, build bridges of compassion by working to understand people who are different, investigate how to be effective activists when we’re both highly sensitive, and generally explore life through the lens of mystic feminist queer gamer geeks.
We live our lives wholeheartedly and we’re here to help you do the same.
We publish a new episode every Thursday morning, so tune in to join us for these and all sorts of other shenanigans!
p.s. This is the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Life (and also the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Enneagram); listen to episode 121 to find out why.
This applies to any fandom that strongly relates to its characters. Spoiler warning for Undertale.
To choose a new topic at random,
Consider the Undertale fandom.
Some say they’re the best,
Some say they’re obsessed,
But we want to just understand ’em.
- What is Undertale?
- What is a fandom?
- Immersion, empathy, and fourth-wall-breaking in Undertale
- Ryukahr playing Undertale
- Is it important to respect the gender of fictional characters? Yes.
- Gendered Tetris
- The 2 reasons Undertale fans are perceived as annoying by outsiders
- Steven Universe fans
- Coca-Cola fans
Why is our culture obsessed with believing in some dogma and sticking to it 100% obsessively? Why doesn’t 99% count for partial credit?
Another fine myth to debunk:
100 percent or you flunk.
Eat one bite of meat
And you’re now obsolete,
99 percent’s basically junk.
- allergic to chocolate
- If you’re a Quaker, you don’t have to serve in the military. But if you “just” think it’s wrong to kill people, oh well, here’s your gun. “does not include essentially political, sociological, or philosophical views, or a merely personal moral code.”
- “I can’t go up or down steps”
- If everyone ate 50% less meat, that would be just as good for the planet as if 50% of people became vegetarian. But this all-or-nothing mentality discourages people from even trying.
You live, and you do, and you age.
Why not go explore the backstage?
What makes people tick?
Is this safe to lick?
Don’t go through the motions, engage!
- game like a designer
- observe without judgement
- ask why
- Myers-Briggs S vs. N
- everyday philosopher
- “I don’t know for sure, but here are my thoughts”