Do you want to live a wholehearted, unconventional life?
The Dervish and the Mermaid is a podcast about pathfinding, the Enneagram, living wholeheartedly, feminism & activism for sensitive people, self-love & body love, and plenty more!
Pace (the Dervish) is a Sufi, a Pathfinding coach, a pansexual polyamorous transgender Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) player, and an Enneagram 3.
Kyeli (the Mermaid) is a wildhearted witch, a self-love advocate, disabled, adventurous, and an Enneagram self-pres 4.
Together, we fight crime! …as well as curiously explore how the world works, build bridges of compassion by working to understand people who are different, investigate how to be effective activists when we’re both highly sensitive, and generally explore life through the lens of mystic feminist queer gamer geeks.
We live our lives wholeheartedly and we’re here to help you do the same.
We publish a new episode every Thursday morning, so tune in to join us for these and all sorts of other shenanigans!
p.s. This is the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Life (and also the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Enneagram); listen to episode 121 to find out why.
When you’re watching a kitten be cute
But your camera’s not all set to shoot
By the time that you’re ready
The cat has already
Moved on, and so you follow suit.
So unless one is very astute
It is hard to get proof absolute
Of a cute little cat.
So why does just that
Doom weird shit into disrepute?
- Radical Wholeness, with Philip Shepherd
- physics envy: wanting softer sciences to be more like physics
- Kyeli’s 7th grade science story: “You stayed open and curious!”
- Persimmon Village
- Staying open and curious, and modeling it for others
Is it out of the question or sinful
To live lives that are just uneventful?
Can the phoenix be plucked,
Or are we simply fucked?
Can we just be at peace and contentful?
- “I don’t deserve happiness”
- comfort is outside my comfort zone
- a pattern of moving after trauma happens, moving to escape the pain
- shame around that
- Phoenix addiction
- motion vs. progress
- The Divine two-by-four
- Pace’s spiritual philosophy: “shit happens”
- The answer: Can we settle down and live lives that are comfortable and stop growing? No. If we stop growing, we will become unhappy. But can we settle down and live lives that are comfortable, and keep growing? Yes. Yes we can.
Philosophical geekery. No quantum mechanics.
Liquids flow always downhill.
Physics prohibits free will.
But with complex machines
Like computers or genes,
There might be some wiggle room still…
- the dice-rolling machine
- “Any sufficiently complex system is indistinguishable from randomness.” -Paul Lagasse
- The Sims
- the butterfly effect
- the meaning of life
- How would you live your life differently if you knew your “free will” was fake?
- software as ecosystem
- programmer becomes trainer, minder, friend, lover