WCME 064: IEA part 4 of 4: Helen Palmer, the 3 instincts in relationship, and my impressions of the IEA community
I learned quite a lot on each day,
And made some great friends by the way.
And all this despite
Being quite old and white –
Get hype for the great IEA!
- “Your type is an adaptive strategy to keep you secure in the world.” -Helen Palmer
- Identity feels like choosing but it’s really automatic
- When I get triggered, instead of reacting outwardly, I can center inwardly.
- The imagination is a true path to next levels of consciousness, if we can just get past our projections.
- Anchor the castle, invoke the blue fairy, then she begins to sing.
- Go to the part of your body that has shut down that has enabled the passion to arise. Stay with it and relax.
- If you have trouble going within, ask “what am I running away from?” Take up a sport and get exhausted.
- Apply the Enneagram to “be a tube not a bucket” to address the resistance in nine ways
- That is not a thought. That is the recognition capacity of your inner witness.
- Don’t go away from it. Go toward it. It’s just a contraction with a bunch of interpretation attached to it.
Instincts in relationship workshop:
- All the instincts are trying to get needs met from outside. You can redirect and get them met from inside.
- Self-pres says “please don’t have people over for parties”
- Social says “sexual beats around the bush but doesn’t ask for what they need”
- Sexual says “social wants to be heard but rambles and doesn’t get to the point. I want intimacy but not that kind.”
Overall impressions of the IEA community:
- The IEA community is largely old and white, and the narrative tradition is stuck in 70’s gender roles.
- Keep the spirit of scientific inquiry; drop the gatekeepers.
- In order for this community to survive into the next generation, we need to be one community, not an uncomfortable hodgepodge of a spiritual community and an academic community.
- The backstory about the snow shoveling argument
Previous episode in this series:
- WCME 060: IEA 2016 part 1: Bringing a scientific mindset to the Enneagram
- WCME 062: IEA 2016 part 2: Using Non-Violent Communication (NVC) to have conversations that transform
- WCME 063: IEA 2016 part 3: 4 Perspectives on the 3 Instincts: Russ Hudson, Mario Sikora, Beatrice Chestnut, and Tom Condon
You can find the IEA conference here. I’ll be there and I’d love to meet you! -Pace
If you enjoyed this episode, would you be so kind as to leave us a review? You can find us by going to the Podcast page in iTunes and searching for “wild crazy meaningful enneagram”. Thanks! Your review helps more people discover the awesomeness of the Enneagram.
And if you’d like to discover how the Enneagram could help YOU, sign up for an Enneagram Exploration! The Enneagram Exploration is your opportunity to talk with me one-on-one about how the Enneagram can help you live a wild, crazy, meaningful life. If that piques your curiosity, you can find out more at EnneagramPodcast.com.
We’re here every Wednesday morning, so we’ll see you next time!