WCML 065: How to have awkward conversations about race without being afraid of fucking up, with Ericka Hines
Kyeli asks, “How can I, as a sensitive white person, have conversations about race without being afraid of fucking up?”
Ericka Hines, a professional at this sort of thing, answers.
- “Be humble, and be prepared to fumble.” -Ericka Hines
- Ericka and Pace have an actual awkward conversation about race
- intent vs. impact
- Being color-blind: “I don’t see color, I only see humans”
- What is privilege, and how do you know if you have it?
- Kyeli’s story of the KKK license plate
- Pace’s story of “Why are all my clients white?”
- be sensitive but not tentative
- the privilege walk
- Chescaleigh (see also MTV Decoded)
- Jay Smooth
- how not to get in trouble with the police
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, by Peggy McIntosh
- Harvard’s Implicit Bias Test
Thanks for listening to Wild Crazy Meaningful Life! If you enjoyed this episode, please review us on iTunes and send your friends to WildCrazyMeaningfulLife.com.
That’s also where you can download my free eBook, Find Your Path Now. It’ll help you stop living on autopilot and start living the wild, crazy, meaningful life you were meant to live! Put that privilege to good use!