There are two kinds of wanting: one that makes you miserable and one that brings you peace. Here’s the difference.
This paradox feels like a flaw:
Alan Watts even called it a law.
The more that you chase
Your joy, love, or grace
The more that it seems to withdraw.
- the difference between wanting and expecting
- the difference between expectation and attachment
- the difference between attachment and entitlement
- the difference between “desperately wanting” and “feeling moved to”
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, by Mark Manson
- When there’s something you can’t stand about yourself and you keep trying to change, but failing
- It’s okay to not be happy all the time
- See also “The lollipop” chapter in our book, The Usual Error