Do you want to live a wholehearted, unconventional life?
The Dervish and the Mermaid is a podcast about pathfinding, the Enneagram, living wholeheartedly, feminism & activism for sensitive people, self-love & body love, and plenty more!
Pace (the Dervish) is a Sufi, a Pathfinding coach, a pansexual polyamorous transgender Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) player, and an Enneagram 3.
Kyeli (the Mermaid) is a wildhearted witch, a self-love advocate, disabled, adventurous, and an Enneagram self-pres 4.
Together, we fight crime! …as well as curiously explore how the world works, build bridges of compassion by working to understand people who are different, investigate how to be effective activists when we’re both highly sensitive, and generally explore life through the lens of mystic feminist queer gamer geeks.
We live our lives wholeheartedly and we’re here to help you do the same.
We publish a new episode every Thursday morning, so tune in to join us for these and all sorts of other shenanigans!
p.s. This is the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Life (and also the podcast formerly known as Wild Crazy Meaningful Enneagram); listen to episode 121 to find out why.
Podcasting five years, it’s been swell!
But now we are saying farewell.
Let’s talk about why
We’re saying goodbye
With many more stories to tell.
A last parting gift, our ten jewels,
Ten easy-to-memorize tools
For living intentionally
They’re what we call our House Rules.
Pace & Kyeli’s House Rules
- Resilience, Not Perfection
- How About Now?
- It’s Always OK to Ask; It’s Always OK to Say No
- Always Mumble
- Never Hurry
- Never Wait
- Just Keep Crying
- Grown-Ass Women
- Assume Love
- You Are Not Alone
- Don’t Be Creepy in the Bathroom
- WCML 004 – Living in an Instagrammed world
- WCML 068: Wild Crazy Meaningful Death, with Caitlin Doughty
- WCML 107: What Kelly learned from living with us for a year (and vice versa)
- Direct vs. subtle communication (aka ask culture vs. guess culture, low context vs. high context communication)
- WCML 070: Wild Crazy Meaningful Day Job
- We are selling our RV and moving to Portland. Here’s why.
- “Be a tube, not a bucket”
- WCML 051: Love Like You Don’t Share a Bathroom with Patty Newbold, assumelove.com
- Why I hate compassion
Thanks for listening to The Dervish and the Mermaid! If you miss us, you can find every episode we’ve ever recorded at PaceSmith.com.
Kyeli helps Pace deal with her attachment to other people being moved by her creation.
Before my creation is hatched,
I’m already hella attached.
If nobody cares
To sample my wares,
My plan might as well stay unhatched.
- bitching vs. venting
- game jams
- Compass Rose
- September Safari
- The Usual Error
- Time & Again
- internal motivation vs. external motivation
- “How do I want to feel while working on this?”
- “How do I want to feel once I’ve released this into the world and nobody gives a shit?”
This applies to any fandom that strongly relates to its characters. Spoiler warning for Undertale.
To choose a new topic at random,
Consider the Undertale fandom.
Some say they’re the best,
Some say they’re obsessed,
But we want to just understand ’em.
- What is Undertale?
- What is a fandom?
- Immersion, empathy, and fourth-wall-breaking in Undertale
- Ryukahr playing Undertale
- Is it important to respect the gender of fictional characters? Yes.
- Gendered Tetris
- The 2 reasons Undertale fans are perceived as annoying by outsiders
- Steven Universe fans
- Coca-Cola fans