WCML 105: High-demand groups, part 2 of 2 (with Emma and Kelly)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Emma, with whom we’ll consult,
Is a lovely and awesome adult.
And if you’re concerned,
She’ll share what she learned
From spending six years in a cult.
(And Kelly I rashly insult.)
A high-demand group is a group that makes high demands on your time and attention, also sometimes your money, your beliefs, or even your body. Some of them are cults. Some of them are business development programs. Some of them are relationships. Here are four stories of very different high-demand groups, how to spot one, and how to get out.
- WCML 104: High-demand groups, part 1 of 2 (with Emma and Kelly)
- Emma’s story: meets Hinduism
- Kyeli’s story: A high-demand relationship
- Kelly’s story: Being raised a Jehovah’s Witness
- Pace’s story: A business development program
- A common feature of high-demand groups is an intro workshop in which they need your full attention for several days
- Domestic violence and abusive/codependent relationships are often a high-demand group of size 2
- Pursuing a non-traditional path leaves you vulnerable. How can you step away from the mainstream without getting caught up in an unhealthy high-demand group?
- “The truth can take the heat of your direct confrontation and questions.” -Emma
- Trusting doesn’t make you weak or a sucker. But faith doesn’t have to be blind faith.
- Dr. Robert J. Lifton’s 8 Criteria for Thought Reform
- Influence by Cialdini
- Janja Lalich
- International Cultic Studies Association
Thanks for listening to Wild Crazy Meaningful Life! If you enjoyed this episode, please review us on iTunes and send your friends to WildCrazyMeaningfulLife.com.
That’s also where you can download my free eBook, Find Your Path Now. It’ll help you stop living on autopilot and start living the wild, crazy, meaningful life you were meant to live!
Feel clear and confident about your direction in life!
Do you wish you could follow your heart, but it seems impossible? I can help you find the clarity and courage you need.
In other words, I can help you find your path.